2018 SCHEDULE (up to September 2nd)
Complete 7 of the races. Races may be adjusted due to weather and will be posted quarterly.
1. Hangover Classic 5-Miler, Bristol, RI – DONE
2. Hot/Cold 10-Miler – PICK ONE
— Old Fashioned 10-Miler, Foxboro, MA –DONE
— Blessing of the Fleet, July 27, Narragansett, RI
3. Late Winter/Spring Half Marathon – PICK ONE
— Hyannis Half Marathon, Hyannis, MA – DONE
— Horseneck Half Marathon, May 20, Westport, MA
— Funky Monkey Half Marathon, June 24, Seekonk, MA
4. Three Seasons/Three States 10K – PICK ONE
— Hyannis 10K, Hyannis, MA – DONE
— Woodstock 10K, May 27, Woodstock, Conn.
— South Foster Firefighters 10K, October, Foster, RI
5. The Massachusetts Police 5K – PICK ONE
— Officer Thomas Giunta 5K, April 8, Fall River, MA
— Police Chase 5K, June, Framingham, MA
— Officer B.J. Voss 5K, October, Somerset, MA
6. The Great July Rhode Island 5.5-Miler – PICK ONE
— Glocester Fourth of July 5.5-Miler, July 4, Glocester, RI
— St. Mary’s Festival 5.5-Miler, July, Cranston, RI
7. The Summer Sizzler 5K – PICK ONE
— St. Mary’s Festival 5K, July, Cranston, RI
— Francis Farm Craft Brew 5K, July, Rehoboth, MA
— Fred Zuleger III 5K, Aug. 12, East Providence, RI
8. Common Fence Point 5-Miler, Aug. 19, Portsmouth, RI
9. Finish for a Guinness 5K, Sept. 2, Warren, RI
Three factors weigh into what I pick for races …
1. Popularity in the club. If a road race from 2017 drew 15 or more RIRR runners, there’s a very, very good chance it will be back on the 2018 schedule.
2. I’ll give strong preferences to races whose race directors will either donate race entries to our banquet in March or give us discounts to their races. It’s one of the ways to say thanks to these folks for their generosity year after year.
3. The way to my heart is to my stomach. Any race that gives out free beer and/or has a great spread of food certainly grabs my attention. In other words, if I can leave my wallet in my car and have a couple of beers before I head home, then that’s good enough for me.